The Creating Safer Places grants is part of the Building Safer Communities Program which includes grants and a series of community forums across Victoria.
Grants of between $25,000 and $300,000 are available to councils to undertake urban design projects that apply an inclusive environmental design approach to deter crime, increase safety and activate public places.
$25,000 to $300,000 per project over two years.
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Applicants are encouraged to incorporate a combination of the following elements in their project to reflect the needs of the community:
- inclusive urban design principles to enhance the safety and amenity of public spaces for a diversity of community members, including graffiti prevention measures
- place-making initiatives that increase community ownership and use of a location
- consultation with a diverse range of community members in the design and implementation of the project, noting reasonable consultation costs can be covered by the grant
- education or awareness initiatives that address reasons for poor perceptions of safety in an area, such as graffiti.
In their applications, councils will be required to clearly identify the need for and benefit of the urban design initiative, using evidence such as community surveys and other relevant data.
The following resources may assist with the development of the Creating Safer Places applications:
- Urban Design and Crime fact sheets
- Resources for developing evidence-based crime prevention initiatives
- Fact sheet: Applying a placemaking approach
- Measuring Perceptions of Crime and Safety survey tool
- Crime prevention project management tips
- Engaging Victoria Police in your project
- Fact sheet: Theory of Change
- Evaluation Toolkit
- Local Data and Statistics
- Fact sheet: Applying for funding to install CCTV
An information session for Round 2 of Creating Safer Places was held online on Wednesday 1 December.
The session included an overview of the grants stream, and information on writing a quality application, designing an effective crime prevention project, and urban design for crime prevention.
Applications for Round 2 of Creating Safer Places are now closed.
If after reading the guidelines you still have questions about the grants, please contact the Grants Information Line on 1300 221 249 (for the cost of a local call on any weekday between 8.30am and 5pm except for public holidays).
You can also contact the Community Crime Prevention Unit by email: email@example.com
If you experience technical difficulties when writing or submitting your application online, please contact SmartyGrants Support by phone (03) 9320 6888 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org