A staged approach to supporting the community safety
Empowering communities brings the community together to listen and respond to community concerns and ideas on how to tackle local issues that impact on crime and safety. The program is implemented in stages over a three year period.
Project progress timeline
Building Safer Communities Forum
The Building Safer Communities forums was held online in March 2021 where the Melton community discussed local issues and identified strengths and opportunities to consider while establishing a common goal. The key themes identified were:
- diversity and cohesion in Melton
- perceptions of safety
- strengthening the Melton community
- the need for support, pathways and engagement for young people, and
- discrimination (in person, online and in the media).
Watch the Melton Community Safety Forum Video:
Action Group established
The Melton Action Group was established in July 2021, bringing together key services and other stakeholders. The Action Group is responsible for connecting the initiative to the broader community and overseeing its implementation.
Melton Action Group Organisations
The following organisations are represented on the Action Group:
- Melton City Council
- Edmund Rice Services
- Brimbank Melton Community Legal Centre
- Centre for Multicultural Youth
- Combined Churches Caring
- Department of Education & Training
- Department of Justice & Community Safety
- Djerriwarrh Community & Education Services
- Western Health
- LLENLocal Learning & Employment Network
- MRC North West
- Odyssey House Victoria
- Victoria Police
Common Goal agreed
Drawing on the themes established in the forum, the Action Group built a vision of a City of Melton community that is connected, safe, resilient and celebrated.
The Melton initiative will work to empower local community with opportunities to thrive socially, emotionally and economically.
Empowering Communities in Melton is coordinated by Melton City Council. You can contact the Action Group via Elizabeth Johnston at ElizabethJ@melton.vic.gov.au